The Romanian Railway Notified Body - ONFR is set up according to the provisions of the Law No. 55/2006 and it is organized and operates according to the provisions of HGR No. 1561 modifying and completing HGR No. 626/1998 concerning the Romanian Railway Authority - AFER organizing and operating.
ONFR operates within the Romanian Railway Authority - AFER as an independent part from the viewpoint of organizational, legal structure and decisional process in respect of any certification applicant.
ONFR is designated and notified by the Ministry of Transports as a body third party in order to perform, at the request of the interested companies, tests, assessments of the management systems, technical assessments and technical inspection necessary to prove the conformity or the suitability for use of the constituents and of the structural and functional subsystems that ensures the interoperability of the high speed and conventional trans-European railway transport system
Concerning the certification activity, ONFR operates according to the requirements stipulated in the HGR 850/2003, HGR 1533/2003 and HGR 1563/2006, respectively in the Directives 2001/16/CE and 96/48/CE and in the connected technical specifications concerning the interoperability of the high speed and conventional trans-European railway transport system ( rolling stock, infrastructure, command - control - signalling, power supply, traffic operation and management, maintenance ). The two directives above mentionned do not stipulate the application of the conformity marking "EC"
ONFR is entitled to perform the following activities:
- to assess the conformity or the suitability for use of the interoperability constituents of the conventional and high speed railway transport system and to grant conformity certificates
- to apply the conformity checking procedures to the structural sub-systems of the conventional and high speed railway transport system and to grant conformity certificates
- to publish from time to time relevant information concerning:
- the applications for conformity checking
- the granted conformity certificates
- the conformity certificates suspended/withdrawn
- to draw up, to publish from time to time and to update every year the infrastructure and rolling stock registers
- to perform type technical checkings of the railway and subway vehicles, as well as of the rail urban vehicles and to issue specific documents
- to certificate/homologate the materials, the components and the equipments used for building, upgrading, repairing, maintaining and operatig the rolling stock and the railway infrastructure, others than those covered by the interoperability of the trans-European railway transport system, and, by case, to grant homologation certificates or technical agreements for these;
- to draw up the STI implementating strategy in the Romanian railway transport system
- to check and to approve the technical documentations for building or upgrading the rolling stock and the infrastructure used in railway and subway transport, according to the technical specifications in force;
- to authorize, from the technical point of view, the domestic suppliers of railway products and services;
- to perform laboratory checkings and tests in order to determine the products and services conformity, from the point of view of the relevant characteristics and parameters, for the traffic safety, life and environment protection, for the railway, subway and rail urban/tram transport;
- to authorize/to attest the testing laboratories, as well as the stands and the special facilities, used for checking and surveying some relevant characteristics for the railway transport safety, in building, repairing,maintenance, technical checking and operating of the rolling stock and of the railway infrastructure and to issue specific documents;
- to perform technical inspection at the suppliers in order to survey some relevant characteristics for the railway transport safety, in building, repairing, maintenance, technical checking and operating of the rolling stock and the railway infrastructure;
- other relevant duties for its field of activity, entrusted to it through legal papers.
ONFR activities cover the following customers:
- infrastructure managers
- railway and subway undertakings and their parteners
- manufacturers of specific components and subsytems for the rolling stock and the railway infrastructure (track, power supply systems, command - signaling - control);
- units that ensure the maintenance or upgrading of the railway infrastructure and railway rolling stock ( upgrading, refurbishment, transformation etc. );
In its specific activities ( checking/ assessment/approval of technical documentations; laboratory tests; technical homologation, checking/assessment of the products/services conformity; control of products/services by means of technical inspections), ONFR uses technical experts, specialized engineers/auditors, experienced and familiar with that kind of actions, who will be designated , taking into account each one’s competence , in the railway field or in other fields.
ONFR politics in the quality field, based on its fairness and impartiality, is to promote the full confidence of the consumers/users that the suppliers’ products/services, applying for conformity certification of their products/services, are in complete accordance with the requirements of the national and international specifications/regulations
ONFR politics implementation has the following objectives :
- to be aware of and to observe the main requirements of the national and international regulations in the railway and subway transport
- to certificate the products/services according to the requirements stipulated in the Directives no. 2001/16/EC and 96/48/EC and in the connected technical specifications, national or international technical specifications/standars, as well as in SR EN ISO/CEI 17021, in order to be granted with and national and international credibility
- impartial approach of the certification , of the products/services conformity, only under objective evidence that prove the suppliers competence to continuously perform products/services according to the requirements stipulated in the national and international specifications/regulations
- to ensure the un-conditioned and non-discriminating access of the suppliers at the conformity certification services performend by ONFR
- to observe the obligations and the agreed terms of the contracts and to provide prompt answers at the customers’ requests concerning the products certification
- to use competent, experienced, recognized, permanent trained staff
- to use a tariffs system for its activities, acceptable for its customers
- to respect the confidentiality of the information obtained in the assessment/certification process
- the ONFR staff involved in the certification process, shall apply the procedures and the rules of the certification system, in an inner quality system, documented, flexible and permanently analyzed in order to be improved.